Amanda-Users

Sloooow IBM drive...

2004-12-08 13:59:49
Subject: Sloooow IBM drive...
From: Daniel Bentley <danielb AT qsicorp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:47:42 -0700
Just recently purchased an IBM 200/400G LTO-2 (internal) drive. And the sucker is -SLOW-. Amtapetype ran for over 24 hours and didn't finish. I'm running the Bacula tape test util right now for a full tape write, and in the past... 21 hours, it's progressed to 14G, and reporting a rate of around 200 KB/s.

Now, for a drive that reads 'up to 35MB/sec native data transfer rate (70 MB/sec with 2:1 compression)' for sustained data transfer rate on the product datasheet (I know, I know, 'marketing speak' and all... But one has to admit, there's a -huge- discrepency between 35 MB/s and 200 KB/s. -.- ), that's a -slow- drive we have.

So, I was wondering. Has anyone else had experience with this particular drive model before? Are they all this slow, or did we just get 'lucky' here...? (Before it's asked, no, the SCSI controller is not throttled. While it's tweaked down on the secondary SCSI chain (external DDS-3 changer), the primary has not had any limiting done on it.)