Amanda-Users

Re: Maybe OT but a big problem with SOLARIS

2004-11-23 03:54:22
Subject: Re: Maybe OT but a big problem with SOLARIS
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: bwkstuttgart AT yahoo DOT de
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:37:15 +0100
Michael Schaller wrote:

As I wrote a few weeks ago the system run fine with AMANDA and the changer. Only in the fist night after configuring AMANDA with the changer the automatic backup started and the complete system crashed!!
Solaris didn't give any messages in /var/adm/messages ...
The system was frozen, the only way to get the system back to life was a "poweroff". After that the system was really fine for a few weeks.

Last week the same shit happend. The complete system was frozen.

The trick is to find out what is happening short before the crash.
I guess amanda just happens to stress the machine enough to tickle
the problem.  Amanda uses IO (network, disk, tape), CPU and RAM and
loads the bus (anything else in a computer?).

Run under /bin/script (*) a loop which gathers all interesting
information, like "ps -efl", "netstat -ni", vmstat, iostat, df, maybe
even "dmesg|tail", all intermingled with "date" to get some timestamps,
and hope the resulting file contains some hints of what is happening
just before the crash.

Maybe the console contains a useful error message, which may not have
made it into /var/adm/messages.  Make sure it does not go into
powersafe mode or looses the info on the screen by rebooting.
E.g. connect a serial line to a PC with a terminal emulation (Hyperterm on Windows, or Kermit on Linux) having a very large screen history
buffer.

Also some hardware testing utilities would be nice.

We opened a call but without any messages sun was not able to solve the problem. During the last two days the system crashed two times.
But now the system does a automatic reboot.

Nice he, payed support :-)

(*) A nice tip I learned on this list a few days ago, by Eric Siegerman:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=109959188008684&w=2