Amanda-Users

Multiple Sets on a Single Drive Backups

2004-11-08 15:41:35
Subject: Multiple Sets on a Single Drive Backups
From: Casey Milford <cmilfo AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:36:32 -0600
I've finally found reason to join the list.  Up until now I've either
not had enough knowledge of Amanda to contribute or not had a big
enough issue to warrant a post.

Now I have both.  :)

I need to split several servers off from my main backup group to be
backed up to separate tapes.  I have an 8 slot, 1 drive tape drive.
Here's how I decided to split the tapes up:

slot 0-4 All other servers
slot 5    Customer 1's servers
slot 6    Customer 2's servers
slot 7    Customer 3's servers

I've created separate configuration folders for each group of servers.
 I sacrificed the cleaning slot I was using to allow M-F backups for
the main group.  Cleanings are run by hand each Sunday.  The 3
customer slots will be switched out each night.  The 0-4 slots will be
switched out each Sunday during the cleaning.  I think the planning so
far is sound.  It allows separate backups for the customers while
still allowing backups for the main group.  My problem arises when I
try to run the backup sets one after the other.  amtape will not allow
me to switch to the other sets.  It stays within the current set when
asked to switch.  Is there a way to make amtape, amcheck, amdump, etc.
switch sets without using something like mtx to switch the tapes
between commands?

Thank you,
Casey