Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring using amrecover on a linux install.

2004-11-03 13:35:30
Subject: Re: Restoring using amrecover on a linux install.
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: TJ AT omniscient DOT com
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:31:15 +0100
TJ wrote:
> warning: restore program for /sbin/dump not available.
> amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
>  problem executing restore

I have no experience whatsoever with backup type DUMP, but I'd venture
that message meant you don't have the corresponding restore program on
the machine that you're running amrecover on.  That would be called
`restore', and would most probably need to be compatible with the `dump'
that your backup client used.

Which means, don't try to restore on a different platform than the
backup came from.  (If you want that, use GNUTAR.)  In a pinch, use
amrestore to get the raw image, transfer to a machine with restore,
restore over there.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29