Amanda-Users

Re: Fedora upgrade Amanda slowed

2004-10-30 23:14:39
Subject: Re: Fedora upgrade Amanda slowed
From: Jonathan Swaby <jfs10 AT bnext.stucen.gatech DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:10:57 -0400 (EDT)
>  On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 07:57:58AM -0400, Jonathan Swaby wrote: > I
> recently upgraded a RH9 box to Fedora Core1. The upgrade went fine,
> > but my Amanda backups have slowed down a great deal. I am using
> this > machine to backup a Win2k server, a Win2k3 server, and a
> couple of > Linux boxes. The backups for the Linux boxes are running
> at the same > pace as always, but my win boxes are extremely
> slow. My Win2k box was > taking an hour and it now take 3.5
> hours. My Win2k3 box was taking 16 > minutes and now takes 1.25
> hours. Several of the packages Amanda uses > were upgraded in the
> process. I am, however, still using Amanda 2.4.4.  > Maybe a new
> network driver?  Check that your network connection still works as
> previously.  Does it still "handshake" properly, get the right
> speed, right duplex, ...

This appears to have been the problem. The 3c59x driver in FC1 on my
Dell was the problem. The solution was odd. I found it in a bug
report. The ethernet connection was working, but had a ton of
collisions and receive errors. Following the suggestion in the bug
report, I turned kudzu off and reboot the machine. No collisions, and
no errors. Backup times are back to where they were. Thank you for your
suggestion.

Thanks Jonathan Swaby