Amanda-Users

Re: Looking for tape drive suggestions

2004-10-27 12:12:45
Subject: Re: Looking for tape drive suggestions
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt AT acu.ac DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:59:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 11:02am, Mike Brodbelt wrote

> So, does anyone have any suggestions, good (or bad) experiences, or
> other advice? Reliability is obviously by far the most important
> thing... I'm also curious as to whether people favour internal or
> external drives?

I have both AIT and AIT3 drives here, and they are quite nice.  While it's
true that AIT is a Sony standard, they have a very long roadmap for it
(through AIT6 IIRC), and it's not like Sony is going away any time soon.

That being said, these days I may well lean towards LTO.  I've heard very
good things about the hardware compression in LTO drives.

Regarding external vs. internal, I strongly prefer external.  Tape drives
can get hot.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering