Amanda-Users

Re: amanda-2.4.4p3, file driver, chg-disk, and infinite driver retries

2004-10-21 00:51:18
Subject: Re: amanda-2.4.4p3, file driver, chg-disk, and infinite driver retries
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:42:23 -0400
On Wednesday 20 October 2004 22:33, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:08:59PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >A guess only, might your vtape size be smaller than your DLE?
>> >Similar to trying to write to a tape and reaching end of tape.
>> >And what do you have "runtapes" set to.  For real tapes that
>> >specifies the maximum number of tapes that can be used for
>> >any one amanda dump or flush.  I guess that affects vtapes too.
>> >
>> >jl
>>
>> I think Jon, in that event (DLE too big for the tape) that it will
>> simply go into an advance to the next vtape and retry till it runs
>> out of vtapes (runtapes > 1 of course) to use loop.  This happened
>> to me when I was first setting my current lashup up.  This walks
>> and quacks like a different duck to me if it made 200 zero length
>> files on the same vtape.
>
>I probably read more into it than was there.
>I thought that each dump file was on a different tape.

I didn't read that into it, but then the questioner could have worded
it better, so its possible, but that would take 200 vtapes, and I
don't think anyone has explored it that far for lack of sufficient
storage space.  And 200 50 megabyte vtapes on a 20GB drive would seem
to be counter-productive even if it could be made to work with a
disklist that almost defined each file.  That would be like feeding
the locate db into it for a disklist, very extreme.  My 'common
sense' if you can call it that, precluded drawing that conclusion.
OTOH, my common sense has been known to be wrong too.  :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: