Amanda-Users

Re: amanda-2.4.4p3, file driver, chg-disk, and infinite driver retries

2004-10-20 18:04:18
Subject: Re: amanda-2.4.4p3, file driver, chg-disk, and infinite driver retries
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:54:42 -0400
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 05:02:38PM -0400, Todd Pfaff wrote:
> I'm using amanda-2.4.4p3 with the file driver and chg-disk changer for
> vtapes.
>
> Sometimes a dump fails and driver retries:
>
>   driver: client /some/path 1 [dump to tape failed, will try again]
>
> and then it fails again and retries again, and this repeats until I kill
> the amanda processes.
>
> This last time this happened I caught it after driver/dumper/taper had
> created about 200 0 length dump files in the vtape directory.  The client
> machine it was trying to dump from was offline.  It had gone offline
> sometime after the planner stage and so the planner had included it.
> There was no indication that this retrying was ever going to stop.
>
> I have been using amanda for years with tapes and I never experienced
> this behaviour before so it came as quite a surprise.
>
> Is there any way to limit this retrying by driver?

A guess only, might your vtape size be smaller than your DLE?
Similar to trying to write to a tape and reaching end of tape.
And what do you have "runtapes" set to.  For real tapes that
specifies the maximum number of tapes that can be used for
any one amanda dump or flush.  I guess that affects vtapes too.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)