Amanda-Users

Re: amflush problem

2004-10-20 13:08:40
Subject: Re: amflush problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:04:12 -0400
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Frederic Medery wrote:
> Hello,
> every time I do a amflush i received this report :
>
> The dumps were flushed to tape daily-05.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: daily-02.
>

> STATISTICS:
>                          Total       Full      Daily
>                        --------   --------   --------
> Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
> Run Time (hrs:min)         0:01
> Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
> Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
> Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
> Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
>
> Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
> Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
> Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
> Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
>
> USAGE BY TAPE:
>  Label          Time      Size      %    Nb
>  daily-05       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
>

> How can i troubleshoot amflush (I run it as amanda user)

I just took a guess and did an experiment ...

First, did you get some initial comments by amflush saying
something like "todays date is xxxxxx"?  Then asking if you
really want to do this?

    ==  OR  ==

Did you get something like:

  A. some_date
  B. some_date

Then amflush asked which dumps or all do you want to flush?

My guess is the former; that is based on my experiment.

I had nothing to flush, but I ran amflush.  It gave me the
first dialog then "wasted" a tape and gave me a report full
of zeros like you show.

An interesting side-effect of this was the creation of a
directory named with today's date in each of my holding disks.
They were removed at the end of the amflush run, but if amflush
were terminated early, it might appear there were dumps left
in the holding disk because of the directories existence.

I feel this is improper behavior on the part of amflush.
If nothing was detected that could be flushed, it seems to
me that amflush should say so and exit.  But maybe there is
an explanation of which I'm unaware.  I will ask on the
hacker's list if someone could explain the behavior and/or
adjust this behavior.

Jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)