Amanda-Users

Re: amflush problem

2004-10-14 12:20:26
Subject: Re: amflush problem
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:13:30 -0500
--On Thursday, October 14, 2004 11:10:47 -0400 Frederic Medery <dist-list AT
LEXUM.UMontreal DOT CA> wrote:

> Hello,
> every time I do a amflush i received this report :
>
> The dumps were flushed to tape daily-05.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: daily-02.
>

> STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
> Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
> Run Time (hrs:min)         0:01
> Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
> Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
> Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         -- Filesystems Dumped
>      0          0          0
> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
> Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
> Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
> Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
> Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
> USAGE BY TAPE:
>   Label          Time      Size      %    Nb
>   daily-05       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
>

> How can i troubleshoot amflush (I run it as amanda user)

First make sure there is something to flush.  Are there actually
files in your holdingdisk or are you running it because of a
report that says 'warning, some files may be left on holdingdisk'?
The warning just means there is a possibilty of something to flush,
not that there definately is.
   Also, make sure that whatever is in your holdingdisk belongs to
the config you're trying to amflush.
   I would guess there's something in your debug directory as well
(I think /tmp/amanda is the default), but I've never had occasion to
look there after an amflush.

Related question for others on the group:  why does amanda mark a
tape as being used even when nothing is written to it?  Shouldn't
the update to the tapelist be done only after something was written?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673