Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie questions - Amanda and tapechanger

2004-10-11 08:51:47
Subject: Re: Newbie questions - Amanda and tapechanger
From: Michael Schaller <bwkstuttgart AT yahoo DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:45:40 +0200

Server D - RedHat 9 - Disklist:
/dev/sdb6       always-full     # 2.1G
/dev/sda5       always-full     # 376M
/dev/sda6       always-full     # 3.2G
/dev/sda7       always-full     # 1.6G
/dev/sda8       always-full     # 28G
/dev/sda9       always-full     # 76G
/dev/sda10      always-full     # 3.6G

If one DLE is bigger than the total capactiy of one tape (100G) - is Amanda able to switch to a new tape during backing up this DLE??

If one DLE causes the tape to exceed it's capacity, then amanda will
restart the DLE on the next tape.  Your biggest DLE is 76GB, so it
will fit on one tape.

If one of the above questions answered with "NO" - whats best? Creating FOUR configurations - one for each server - or what??

You already have it split into 19 DLEs, with the bigggest 76G.
Personally, I would split the larger volumes into multiple gnutar DLEs
(if possible).  (limitting each DLE to 10% of tape size after
compression would be good size to aim for if you know your jobs are
going to take multiple tapes).

Am I right: Amanda WILL change tapes AUTOMATICALLY between different DLEs in ONE configuration if the rest of the tape doesn't fit for the next DLE????

What happens, if Amanda takes two DLEs in PARALLEL (is that possible??) and these two DLEs together will exceed the tape??

Thanks
Michael