Amanda-Users

Newbie questions - Amanda and tapechanger

2004-10-11 06:01:39
Subject: Newbie questions - Amanda and tapechanger
From: bwkstuttgart AT yahoo DOT de
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:57:04 +0200
Hi!

First: Sorry for my questions, I'm absolutely new in using Amanda with a tape
changer.

I'm using am Overland changer with 11 slots, one is for the cleaning cartridge.
The tapedrive is a HP Ultrium LTO-1 with 100GB.

I want to backup FOUR different Solaris and Linux servers.
They are like this:

Server A - Solaris 8 - Disklist:
/dev/md/dsk/d1 always-full # 67M
/dev/md/dsk/d4 always-full # 126M
/dev/md/dsk/d5 always-full # 2.8G
/dev/md/dsk/d6 always-full # 12.5G
/dev/md/dsk/d7 always-full # 76G

Server B - Solaris 8 - Disklist:
/dev/md/dsk/d1 always-full # 67M
/dev/md/dsk/d4 always-full # 325M
/dev/md/dsk/d6 always-full # 6.5G
/dev/md/dsk/d7 always-full # 9.5G

Server C - RedHat 9 - Disklist:
/dev/sda5      always-full     # 1.5G
/dev/sda6      always-full     # 224M
/dev/sda8      always-full     # 355M

Server D - RedHat 9 - Disklist:
/dev/sdb6       always-full     # 2.1G
/dev/sda5       always-full     # 376M
/dev/sda6       always-full     # 3.2G
/dev/sda7       always-full     # 1.6G
/dev/sda8       always-full     # 28G
/dev/sda9       always-full     # 76G
/dev/sda10      always-full     # 3.6G

The backup of servers A & B should go to different tapes then the servers C & D.
Servers A & B should be processed in one run, servers C & D should be processed
in
a different run. So my idea was to make two different configurations...

But now I'm a little confused about how Amanda deals with changers.
The backup capacity of Servers A & B actually are round about 107GB.
The capacity of Servers C & D actually are round about 117GB.

If I set "runtapes" for this configurations to "2" - does Amanda automatically
change to
a new tape if needed (in the log file Amanda says "... tape length 207618048
..." which
is twice the size of ONE tape ...)??

If one DLE is bigger than the total capactiy of one tape (100G) - is Amanda
able to
switch to a new tape during backing up this DLE??

If one of the above questions answered with "NO" - whats best? Creating FOUR
configurations - one for each server - or what??

Thanks in advance
Michael