Amanda-Users

RE: Problems with Overland Library and Solaris 8

2004-10-11 05:11:10
Subject: RE: Problems with Overland Library and Solaris 8
From: Postaremczak Bernd <Bernd.Postaremczak AT SMS-Eumuco DOT de>
To: "'bwkstuttgart AT yahoo DOT de'" <bwkstuttgart AT yahoo DOT de>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:05:50 +0200

Hi also,

> Am 11 Oct 2004 um 9:46 hat Postaremczak Bernd geschrieben:

Yes, until now.

> What type of changer is it??

Overland LoaderExpress LXL1U11 with 11 Slots and 1 LTO-1 drive (HP-Ultrium).

> We use a Overland LoaderXpress with a single LTO-1 drive.

Maybe it's the same.

> Maybe there is a difference between Linux and Solaris !?

Maybe.

> > > The "disklist" looks like this:
> > >
> > > --- SNIP
> > >
> > > A /dev/sda5      always-full     # 1.5G
> > > A /dev/sda6      always-full     # 224M
> > > A /dev/sda8      always-full     # 355M
> > >
> > > # EDVSERV
> > > B /dev/sdb6       always-full     # 2.1G
> > > B /dev/sda5       always-full     # 376M
> > > B /dev/sda6       always-full     # 3.2G
> > > B /dev/sda7       always-full     # 1.6G
> > > B /dev/sda8       always-full     # 28G
> > > B /dev/sda9       always-full     # 76G
> > > B /dev/sda10      always-full     # 3.6G
> > >
> > > --- SNAP
> > >
> > > This means a total capacity for backup of round about 117G.
> > > I thought, 2 tapes (specified in runtapes) should be enough and
> > > amanda would change the needed tapes automatically.
> >
> > That's wrong. Amanda don't change needed tapes
> automatically. If there is a
> > 110 GB-dump to write to a 100GB-Tape, it won't work. So you
> must use two
> > DLE. I use two configs to write to different tapes. Maybe
> there are hints to
> > do it more clever.
>
> I'm confused.
> Gene Heskett wrote (on 10/2/2004):
>
> >Yes, of course you can use a changer. Amanda is used in large
> >installations doing hundreds of GB backups daily. They don't
> >have someone sitting around waiting to change tapes. Even I
> >don't do that in my home office. I have a six position changer
> >that does 12GB/tape. I set it to use two tapes -- if it needs
> >to use them. I.e. my normal nightly backup is about 7 or 8GB.
> >But if something unusual happens, it may take over 12GB. In
> >that case it will use a second tape.

Hmm, I'm now confused too.

Oh, I'm sorry. You only get problems, if your biggest DLE is bigger than
your tape. Then you must split the DLE in smaller DLEs. That's what I had in
mind.

It's a problem of good software: You set it up and it works and works and
works and you forget how to configure it ;-).

Sorry for confusing.

Greetings

Bernd