Amanda-Users

Amanda drive read errors

2004-10-04 13:20:02
Subject: Amanda drive read errors
From: Daniel Bentley <danielb AT hermod.qsicorp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:16:42 -0600 (MDT)
Here's a summary of the situation: we have Server 1 and Server 2.  Server
1 is the tape backup server, Server 2 is a 'jack of all trades' backup
server for the Servers 1-x (is case of catastrophic failure, Server 2 can
be booted up to take the place of Server X, has configs for all other
servers, certain trees from the other servers are synced up on a regular
basis).  Server 2 has been reinstalled with Server 1 configuration, and
is currently substituting for Server 1.  Amanda was installed onto Server
2 independently, then the (working) configs from Server 1 were mirrored to
Server 2.  I have access to the changer and can preform changer functions
just fine through Amanda.

The problems come with Amanda actually -reading- tapes...

With the configs and tape sets from the working Server 1 config, Amanda on
Server 2 apparently cannot read the tape labels, untils like 'amcheck' and
'amtape' come up with 'not an amanda tape' when trying to read the label.
I've then had errors with re-labeling tapes.  Where 'amlabel -f <config>
<label>' is supposed to label the current tape, 'amtape <config> show'
lists -ALL- tapes in the changer as having the same label.  o.o  So I then
specified by individual slots, 'amlabel -f <config> <label5> slot 5'
followed by 'amlabel -f <config> <label6> slot 6.'  'amtape <config> show'
showed the results correctly (slots 5 and 6 labeled properly).  But when I
ran 'amlabel -f <config> <label7> slot 7,' 'amtape <config> show' reported
all tapes in the drive with <label7>.  @.@

For further reference, Server 1 is running Mandrake (Pro.) 9.2, and Server
2 is running Mandrake (Download Ed.) 10.0 (which is why I installed a
fresh copy of Amanda on Server 2).

Any thoughts, anyone running Mandrake 10.0 themselves and notice anything
odd with how Amanda behaves...?

--
Daniel Bentley - Network Technician, QSI Corporation (www.qsicorp.com)
"Exploits care not whence the clicks come..."