Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype deleting label?

2004-09-13 14:06:25
Subject: Re: amtapetype deleting label?
From: Andreas <andreas AT inferno.nadir DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:01:18 +0200
Hi,

On Monday 13 September 2004 19:20, Frank Smith wrote:
> --On Monday, September 13, 2004 16:42:21 +0200 Andreas Putzo
> > after some tests with amtaptetype i noticed, that the label of the tape
> > was gone. Is this an expected behaviour? If not, what went wrong?  ;)
>
> I don't think amtapetype even bothers looking for a label, it just
> assumes a scatch tape and merrily scribbles all over it to see how
> big it is.

At least, i expected, that it will respect the label. Not a big deal, because
there was old data on the tape, of course. But it was a bit confused, that the
label was gone.

>   Normally you only run it on a new installation, or when you install
> a new type of drive.  It would be nice if it did check for a label
> first and not happily clobber some of your data without warning,
> especially since one of Amanda's advertised features is that it
> doesn't overwrite active tapes.

Yes, it should IMHO spit out a warning or decline running until the user
specifies --force or something.
Also, it should be mentioned in the man page.

Andreas