Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype deleting label?

2004-09-13 13:23:21
Subject: Re: amtapetype deleting label?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Andreas Putzo <andreas AT inferno.nadir DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:20:37 -0500
--On Monday, September 13, 2004 16:42:21 +0200 Andreas Putzo <andreas AT
inferno.nadir DOT org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after some tests with amtaptetype i noticed, that the label of the tape was
> gone. Is this an expected behaviour? If not, what went wrong?  ;)

I don't think amtapetype even bothers looking for a label, it just
assumes a scatch tape and merrily scribbles all over it to see how
big it is.
  Normally you only run it on a new installation, or when you install
a new type of drive.  It would be nice if it did check for a label
first and not happily clobber some of your data without warning,
especially since one of Amanda's advertised features is that it
doesn't overwrite active tapes.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673