Amanda-Users

Re: (OT) Sony SDT-9000

2004-09-08 14:58:03
Subject: Re: (OT) Sony SDT-9000
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:53:44 -0400
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:28:31PM -0600, Daniel Bentley wrote:
> Have an old Sony SDT-9000 drive that I've had to do a manual eject on (as
> in, use a screwdriver with the Loading/Threading motor access point on the
> bottom of the drive to eject the tape).  This is some time ago, and we
> were upgrading to an SDT-11000 anyway, so the drive has been shelved
> since.  It is quite out of warranty (and was when this happened).
>
> Recently, I've dug it back out to see what can be done.  The tape loading
> mechanism will physically load and eject tapes fine, and the drive itself
> reports via 'mt' and Sony's own 'sonytape' program.  However, when a tape
> is inserted, it is loaded, then the drive comes up with the 'Waiting for
> Eject' LED code.  Commands accessing the tape (ie. 'mtx <dev> status')
> would simply go zombie, and refused to be killed until hitting the eject
> button on the front of the drive.

If I recall correctly, that unit is not a changer.
The mtx command is only used to manipulate the changer part of a changer.
The mt command is used to manipulate the tape drive itself.

On solaris, the mt command uses an argument of "offline" or "rewoffl"
to eject the tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)