Amanda-Users

Amanda through a VPN?

2004-09-08 14:46:14
Subject: Amanda through a VPN?
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:41:34 -0400
Has anyone ever set up Amanda to work through a VPN as an alternative to
working correctly through a firewall? I'm not sure a VPN is even the right tool
to use.

I'm so frustrated with our networking group, which implements a single change
in the firewall, then requires that we wait until the next morning to make a
second trial if the first one doesn't work. I believe that no one really
thorough understands the firewall software, an Elron CommandView firewall,
which seems to be out of production. The last mention I can find of it through
Google dates to 1999. Links to their website redirect to zixcorp.com.

Consequently, I'm exploring other options to get Amanda to work through or
around this firewall. The first I thought of was a VPN. However, I only know
what I've read about VPNs; I've never set one up or worked with it. Would a VPN
work? Is it the right tool to use, short of getting the firewall to work
properly in the first place? Any recommendation on specific VPN solutions to
use? Anyone done this before? I tried searching on 'vpn' in this list's
archives, but didn't turn up anything.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Internet Systems Group manager