Amanda-Users

Re: Need help with backup plan

2004-08-31 18:58:17
Subject: Re: Need help with backup plan
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:21:24 -0400
On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 10:42:27PM +0200, Andreas Sundstrom wrote:
> I think that if things are so critical I would seriously
> investigate in purchasing a tape changer.

Indeed!  Even better, though perhaps impractical, would be to
back the data up across the network to a remote site.

Rsync might be a useful tool for this
(http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/).  It's smart enough to only copy
the changed portions of a file, so even if your data is a single
huge database, rsync might be able to back it up in reasonable
time every time but the first.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau