Amanda-Users

Need help with backup plan

2004-08-31 10:46:21
Subject: Need help with backup plan
From: Joe Konecny <jkonecn AT green-mfg DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:42:58 -0400
Right now I back up my Netware server with Arcserve to a
single tape.  I have 10 tapes.  The system is set up to accept
any tape and run a full backup.  What we do is keep the tapes
in rotation and if someone forgets to bring a tape back from
off site it is no big deal we just use the next one.  Arcserve
assigns each tape a new ID when it uses it.  We write the date
of the backup on the case of each tape.  If a restore is needed
we figure out what date we want and insert the tape.  Arcserve
will tell us the tape ID and then we can restore from that
session.  Now I'm switching to FreeBSD and have a working
Amanda install with 10 tapes.  I have yet to configure the
cycle, etc... as I'm not sure how to make it work like Arcserve
did.  Can Amanda be made to work like that?