Amanda-Users

Interpreting amplot for newbies

2004-08-31 11:58:52
Subject: Interpreting amplot for newbies
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:56:36 -0400
For some reason, I though amplot was too difficult to set up and use,
so I never tried it for the last three years that I've used Amanda. Now,
with a new installation, I've tried it. However, I'm not sure how to read
and understand the plots.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at the amplot output at
http://www.jhuccp.org/20040828.pdf and http://www.jhuccp.org/20040831.pdf
and give me any suggestions on how my setup could be tuned? In general,
I think everything's okay, since all the lines are below 100% capacity, but
that's the limit of what I can get from the plots.

Specifically, is it normal or common for there to be an almost 50 minute
dead-space at the beginning of each run? I'm familiar with the idea of needing
time to compute estimates, but this seems excessive.

Also, should I worry about these lines when I produce an amplot:
amanda@cn2:/var/amanda/DBackup$ amplot -e -p -l -t 2 amdump.2
 Unknown statement# driver: tape size 19714048
20040828 INFO# dumper: bind_portrange: all ports between 850 and 854 busy
20040828 INFO# dumper: bind_portrange: all ports between 10080 and 10083 busy

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate your advice.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139