Amanda-Users

Re: How to get rid of unflushed dumps?

2004-08-27 09:29:06
Subject: Re: How to get rid of unflushed dumps?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Jukka Salmi <j+amanda AT 2004.salmi DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:22:22 +0200 (MEST)
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Greg Troxel --> amanda-users (2004-08-27 08:38:13 -0400):
> > rm'ing the holding dir should work fine.  run amadmin config find
> > before and after and you'll note that the disks are recorded as being
> > in the holding dir, but not assigned to a tape.
>
> Worked fine, thanks!
>
> > The only issue I can see is getting amanda's dump levels and
> > /etc/dumpdates out of sync, but if these are old and you have more
> > recent level 0s, that won't matter.  I would guess that's the case or
> > you wouldn't want to delete them...
>
> Exactly. (This particular system does daily level 0 backups exclusively,
> so unflushed dumps are obsolete after one day.)

Depands on why you do backups:
  - To protect against system failures: fine, you're system is still alive
    today, so yesterday doesn't matter
  - To protect against user error: bad, a user may have deleted data earlier
    today, and you don't have yesterday's backups anymore

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds