Amanda-Users

Re: Input/output error attempting to run amlabel

2004-08-25 12:10:53
Subject: Re: Input/output error attempting to run amlabel
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: scottf AT oit DOT edu
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:08:40 +0200

(I hate top posting, so I reordered the mail a little bit...)
(And I also hate long lines...)

KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:
Frazier Scott <scottf AT oit DOT edu> 08/24/04 11:14PM >>>

Can anyone give me an idea why this might be occurring (see below)? Mandrake Linux 9.2, su'ed to the amanda user, all config files seem to
be set up OK, using chg-zd-mtx, tapetype set to the pv120t-dds4 found on
the faq-o-matic site, Dell PowerVault 120T AutoLoader with DDS-4 tapes. I am attempting to populate the tapelist (already "touched" the file). After I get this error, running mt -f /dev/nst0 status also gives me
>> Input/output error.

Errors from "mt" indicate that the problem is completly outside amanda.
Any hints in /var/log/messages?
Is the tape still blinking when you type the command?  I mean,
maybe you type the commands too fast?

           If I then unload the tape using mtx -f /dev/sg5
unload, I can reload the tape using mtx -f /dev/sg5 load 1 and mt -f
/dev/nst0 status works fine.  I attempt to run amlabel again, and the
whole thing starts over again.

-bash-2.05b$ /usr/amanda/sbin/amlabel sunday amanda001 slot 1
labeling tape in slot 1 (/dev/nst0):
rewinding, reading label, reading label: Input/output error
rewinding, writing label amanda001
amlabel: writing endmark: Input/output error

I think that the first error, when reading, is caused by trying to
read the label from a pristine tape, with nothing written on it. I get
this error all the time when I label new tapes. I just ignore it.

Correct.

There has recently been some discussion of this on this list, and I
may actually have this wrong. This is just my guess.

However, the second input/output error, when 'writing endmark,' I've
never seen before (I started writing this response before I noticed
this). Maybe someone else can help with that.

The second error is indeed unexepected.  But amlabel seems
not the cullprit, as even "mt status" gives an error?

Try to isolate the problem using simple commands
like "dd bs=32k count=1 if=... of=...", and "mt ...".