Amanda-Users

RE: Another 'Amanda through firewall' problem

2004-08-23 18:59:08
Subject: RE: Another 'Amanda through firewall' problem
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:57:29 -0500
Kevin:

Sorry about responding late to this post, I have been away from the mailing
list for a while, so this may be a stale issue.  Be sure and study the
docs/PORT.USAGE file in the Amanda distribution for a detailed explanation
of how to set up your ports.

There appears to be confusion about the use of port ranges through the
firewall.  Amanda needs three sets of ports opened in a firewall:

UDP/10080, TCP/10082, TCP/10083 -> the well-known services that
        connect clients to Amanda services

the UDP port Range -> a set of ports for Amanda to exchange
        information between the clients and the server

the TCP port Range -> a set of ports to pass the backup data
        streams between the Amanda clients and servers

During a session, the Amanda server connects to the Amanda UDP port on the
client to perform an operation, the request originates from one of the UDP
ports in the UDPPORTRANGE.  Amanda uses this connection to send commands to
the remote client and receive reports of results on the client.

To perform a backup, Amanda sends the client a set of three ports in the
TCPPORTRANGE that will be used for standard input, output, and error
streams.  Amanda uses the three ports to send/receive information with the
client.  The range of addresses needs to be large enough to conduct as many
remote sessions as needed by the configuration going through the firewall.

For my firewall, I have the following ports open:
        To each client:
                UDP 10080 - Amanda control port
                TCP 10082 - Amanda index service
                TCP 10083 - Amanda tape service
                UDP 880-899 - for bi-directional status data flows
                TCP 50000-50040 - for bi-directional backup stream flows

        From clients to the server:
                UDP 10080 - Amanda control port
                TCP 10082 - Amanda index service
                TCP 10083 - Amanda tape service
                UDP 880-899 - for bi-directional status data flows
                Return connections for each established outbound connection

Since I don't control the firewall, I have to depend on rule and port
listings from the Firewall group.  Good communication of the contents of the
docs/PORT.USAGE file from the Amanda distribution file tree is essential for
the Firewall Team to be able to setup the firewall to correctly pass the
Amanda data streams.

Best of luck with Amanda and hopefully this will get your moving,

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology
Exelon Corporation