Amanda-Users

rait with file:

2004-08-18 21:48:49
Subject: rait with file:
From: "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman AT dman13.dyndns DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:43:39 -0400
I have two firewire drives to use as the backup media.  I want the
data mirrored on the two drives in case one of them happens to fail.
I was able to get a simple file: setup working.  Now I am trying to
mix in RAIT to achieve the mirroring effect.  It isn't quite working,
though.

Here's what I have tried :

---- /etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf
org "daily"
dumpuser "backup"
tapetype VTAPE-DISK
tapedev "rait:/var/lib/amanda/symlinks/daily{1,2}/data"
tpchanger "chg-rait"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/changer"
labelstr "^daily\.[0-9][0-9]*$"

define tapetype VTAPE-DISK {
    comment "Dump to hard disk"
    # 35 GB on each firewire drives
    # therefore, 4.375 GB per tape for 8 tapes
    length 4480 MB
}

---- daily/changer
nchangers=2

tpchanger_1="chg-disk"
changerdev_1="file:/var/lib/amanda/symlinks/daily1"
tapedev_1="file:/var/lib/amanda/symlinks/daily1"

tpchanger_2="chg-disk"
changerdev_2="file:/var/lib/amanda/symlinks/daily2"
tapedev_2="file:/var/lib/amanda/symlinks/daily2"

Some notes regarding the configuration -- the "symlinks" directories
contain symlinks to the real vtapes.  The firewire disks are actually
attached to a windows machine and accessible only via SMB and thus
can't support the 'data' symlink needed by chg-disk.  (no, the disks
can't be moved to the linux machine;  it's not up to me)  Also, in the
interest of brevity I omitted some parameters which I believe are
irrelevant.

I ran
    amlabel daily daily.1 slot 1
(and so on for each vtape) in each of the "symlink" directories.

When I run amcheck, I get this output :
----
# su backup -c '/usr/sbin/amcheck daily'
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /_backup_temp: 1802032 KB disk space available, that's plenty
amcheck-server: slot file:/var/lib/amanda/symlinks/daily1: rait:{,}
ERROR: new tape not found in rack
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/daily-rait/curinfo: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run
NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/daily-rait/index: does not exist
Server check took 1.007 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.794 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p3)
----

Both the server and the client are Debian machines.

What exactly is amcheck-server looking for?  Did I put an incorrect
path in the configuration or is the label on the vtape wrong?  Am I
totally missing something?

TIA,
-D

--
The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman AT dman13.dyndns
DOT org