Amanda-Users

Re: enabling hardware compression ?

2004-08-23 17:16:31
Subject: Re: enabling hardware compression ?
From: Ivan Petrovich <laveer AT tuphaan.engr.wichita DOT edu>
To: Frederic Medery <dist-list AT LEXUM.UMontreal DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:11:07 -0500
Frederic,

This is _generic_ information that may or may not apply to your
particular tape drive.

- Turning on/off hardware compression is specific to your tape drive,
  not the changer.
- Look in the manual for a dip switch that may turn on/off the
  compression.
- There's another dip switch that allows for software control of
  hardware compression regardless of the position of the dip switch
  described above.
- If the second dip switch is set to enable software control, you'll
  be able to control the compression using the 'mt' command.
- Find the device file name of the tape drive (not the changer),
  e.g. /dev/nst0
- To turn on hardware compression:
   mt -f /dev/nst0 compress 1
- To turn off hardware compression:
   mt -f /dev/nst0 compress 0
- The effect of your command lasts until the tape is ejected.
- If you plan on using compressionr a lot, you should set the default
  behavior using the first dip switch described above.
- This is not Amanda-specific information, but might be appropriate
  for inclusion in the amanda document. (Hint, hint.) :)

Hope that answers the question.

Ivan

Frederic Medery a e'crit: