Amanda-Users

Re: Question: backup just 1 file

2004-08-19 08:26:20
Subject: Re: Question: backup just 1 file
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Sebastian Kösters <skoesters AT sino DOT de>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:23:17 +0200
Sebastian Kösters wrote:

at the moment Amanda backups different dirs from different servers.

An entry in disklist looks like this:

server /dir hard-disk-tar

Now the question.

Is it possible to backup just a single file (like /etc/passwd for example)?

With a recent Amanda version (at least 2.4.3), and using GNUTAR,
you can have a disklist entry like:

server  /etc/passwd /etc  {
        hard-disk-tar
        include "./passwd"
        }

Note the disklist entry is indeed 4 lines.
The first "/etc/passwd" is just an arbitary string that must be unique
in the disklist for that host (if you omit it, it is assumed equal to
the disk/topleveldirectory).
The second "/etc" is the top level directory.
You can have an inline dumptype by put a brace+newline where the
normal dumptype should be.
There we include the normal "hard-disk-tar" that you already have,
and add the "include" directive to limit only to that one file or
directory.

If yes what entry has to be made in disklist and what's about the curinfo
and index dirs in /var/lib/amanda?

curinfo and indexes are fine.