Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to disk / tape size?

2004-08-17 11:16:19
Subject: Re: Backup to disk / tape size?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Mark Wormgoor <mark AT wormgoor DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:13:23 +0200 (MEST)
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Mark Wormgoor wrote:
> I have recently switched to Amanda for making my backups (yes, that
> means I'm new to Amanda).  I have several small (/etc, /var/lib/rpm,
> /var/spool/mail) directories to backup and one large directory (/home).
> I would like to back these up to disk.  I have followed the HOWTO and
> all is working fine.
>
> But... how do I setup my tapes?  If I create 16 5GB tapes with a
> dumpcycle of 7 days, I cannot store /home on them (not enough space).
> But if I create 8 10GB tapes, I will only have one full backup per
> dumpcycle, where I would prefer two. And, my tapes would be mostly empty
> (only a full backup requires 10GB).

Empty virtual tapes of e.g. 10 GB don't use 10 GB diskspace each. They consume
spaces for the filled part only.

So I think (I'm actually trying something similar myself ;-) you can create
e.g. 16 virtual tapes of 10 GB, and depending on the amount of data in the
incrementals, it will probably fit for 2 dumpcycles.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds