Amanda-Users

amrestore issue from hadi

2004-08-17 10:01:47
Subject: amrestore issue from hadi
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:51:36 -0400
----- Forwarded message from nyohadi <hadi AT esuria.com DOT bn> -----

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:41:00 -0700
From: nyohadi <hadi AT esuria.com DOT bn>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Subject: dir of amanda.conf

Dear Brian ,
        sorry , this error messages ( continu with my email before )

200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2004-08-17)
200 Working date set to 2004-08-17.
Scanning /etc/amanda/daily...
  amanda.conf: skipping cruft file, perhaps you should delete it.
  tapelist: skipping cruft file, perhaps you should delete it.
  disklist: skipping cruft file, perhaps you should delete it.
  tapelist.amlabel: skipping cruft file, perhaps you should delete it.
200 Config set to DailySet1.
200 Dump host set to san.
             if  i not copy  amanda.conf  and disklist
/etc/amanda/daily  to /etc/amanda/DailySet1/
i am cannot restore , if i am delete two of files on /etc/amanda/daily i
am cannot label .

regards

Brian Cuttler wrote:

>Hadi,
>
>You are welcome - glad the jukebox is working properly now.
>
>As to your other question - no, amanda is not really designed
>to operate in the way you are asking.
>
>Amanda maintains a tape pool, which it will attempt to use in
>order from cycle to cycle. Ideally your tape pool exceeds the
>size of the dump cycle so that you will not risk overwriting
>a previous level 0 of any particular file system in the event
>of a missed day, ie tape trouble, power, drive failure, etc.
>
>With a jukebox its possible to run dumps 7/week (which it is
>not possible to do at my site without a jukebox since we have
>no weekend coverage), if you want to attempt to keep the tapes
>in step with the day of the week you should size your tape
>pool to be a multiple of your dumpcycle. Ie: dumpcycle 7-days,
>tape pool, 14,21,28 tapes.
>
>Even so you should expect to fall out of sequence at some point.
>
>Normally to find which tape has a level N of some particular
>file system you would use the "amadmin find" commands.
>
>Related to this, amanda will try to schedule different dump levels
>of the partitions being dumped so as to attempt to equalize the
>amanda of data written to tape each day. Amanda does not typically
>schedule a level 0, 1, 2 of partition /XX for Mon,Tues,Wed. It will
>appear to you to be more random than that - but really follows a
>well thought out strategem.
>

>On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 12:22:38PM -0700, nyohadi wrote:
>

>>    Hi Brian ,
>>              Thanks for advice me , i am try trace error from
>>/tmp/amanda , now my L8 with solaris 9 working , when i am label  take
>>from slot  automatic, key is check first with chg-zd-mt
>>/usr/local/libexec must working first , there also when  i am checking
>>(amchek ) can take tape automatic .
>>           my question  is the tape configured by Dailyset1-001 ,
>>Dailyset1-002 , how to configure sunday use tape Dailyset1-007 , monday
>>use Dailyset1-001 ?, if you have copy sample from your crontab ,give me
>>please
>>

>>regards
>>
>>hadi
>>
>>Brian Cuttler wrote:
>>

>>>Hadi,
>>>
>>>Yes - sorry, I picked the one jukebox config at my site that
>>>didn't give driveslot, I had three others I could have sent.
>>>
>>>[nnewton] /usr/local/etc/amanda/newtonr 6> cat chg-zd-mtx.conf
>>>firstslot=1
>>>lastslot=9
>>>#cleanslot=3
>>>AUTOCLEAN=0
>>>autocleancount=99
>>>havereader=1
>>>offlinestatus=0
>>>OFFLINE_BEFORE_UNLOAD=0
>>>driveslot=0

>>>---
>>>  Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>>>  Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>>>  Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>>>  NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773

> [...]

----- End forwarded message -----
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org