Amanda-Users

autoloader problem

2004-08-16 06:19:28
Subject: autoloader problem
From: Ernest Byaruhanga <ernest AT afrinic DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:12:56 -0700 (PDT)
hello Amanda Users,

I an having a problem with my Dell PowerVault Autoloader: amtape shows me
that all slots are empty, yet 2 of the slots are loaded with tapes!

see below:

[ernest@oshe log]$ amtape oshe show
amtape: scanning all 8 slots in tape-changer rack:
slot 8: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 2: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 3: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 4: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 5: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 6: chg-multi: slot is empty
slot 7: chg-multi: slot is empty
[ernest@oshe log]$

the chg-multi.conf shows the following:

#************************************************

[...]

multieject 0

gravity 0

needeject 0

ejectdelay 0

statefile /usr/local/etc/amanda/changer-status

firstslot 1
lastslot 8
driveslot 0

slot 1 /dev/st1
slot 2 /dev/st2
slot 3 /dev/st3
slot 4 /dev/st4
slot 5 /dev/st5
slot 6 /dev/st6
slot 7 /dev/st7
slot 8 /dev/st8
#************************************************

where am i going wrong? first, the system sees the tape as /dev/st . is
the slot device numbering then correct? also, the autoloader is seen as
/dev/sg2. additionally, the mtx command tells me the right info, please
see below:

[ernest@oshe log]$ mtx -f /dev/sg2 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 1 Loaded)
      Storage Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 2:Full
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty
      Storage Element 8:Empty
[ernest@oshe log]$

what is wrong? please help! all help will be greatly appreciated.

ernesto.