Amanda-Users

Tar returning 2 - amanda says dump FAILED, but log shows bytes written.

2004-08-13 16:30:09
Subject: Tar returning 2 - amanda says dump FAILED, but log shows bytes written.
From: Joe Harpole <jharpole AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:16:49 -0500

I am getting a lot of return code 2 from tar and amanda tells me the dump failed.

/db01 lev 0 FAILED [/usr/local/bin/tar returned 2]

Looking at the log either the file changed while being backed up or was deleted after the list of files was built. The log shows the typical tar messages like:
gtar: Read error at byte 0, reading 512 bytes, in file ./app/oracle/admin/crmprod/bdump/alert_crmprod.log: No such device or address
gtar: ./BusinessWare/instance7/BW31/data/chanserv1_v3.dat: file changed as we read it
| Total bytes written: 3064913920
? gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

How can I tell if I actually wrote data to the tape for this file system? (Remember I'm an amanda NEWBIE so be kind.)

Joe Harpole, Unix System Administrator
IBM Global Services
Phones Voice Fax
(314) 234-8430 (314) 233-8424
Sky-tel Pager: 8883129227 (3129227 AT skytel DOT com)
Cell Phone/Pager: 1-618-670-9032
Web Paging: http://messagings.sprintpcs.com/textmessaging/compose?phoneNumber=6186709032