Amanda-Users

Re: help getting started

2004-08-13 16:29:30
Subject: Re: help getting started
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Max Waterman <davidmaxwaterman AT fastmail.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:59:09 +0200
Max Waterman wrote:

I'm getting some errors in my amstatus output - can anyone enlighten me?

# su amanda -c "/usr/sbin/amstatus DailySet1"
Using /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/amdump from Wed Jun 30 16:46:16 CST 2004

localhost:/etc                           2      24k finished (16:46:53)
Use of uninitialized value in printf at /usr/sbin/amstatus line 760.

This seems to be produced by amanda 2.4.3.  Not sure of the cause,
but just that part in the amstatus code (among others) got updated
in 2.4.4.  The most recent stable version is 2.4.4p3.

I guess upgrading will at least gid rid of that error message.

localhost:/home       0 17720729k dumping     0k (16:49:27)

(reformatted the above line, and added a space)

So this seems to be a 17 Gbyte partition.  And it seems to be
dumping directly to tape, bypassing the holdingdisk.
Am I correct?

It seems to be taking ages to complete this backup...is something wrong?

I don't know. How long is it running?  How long would it take
to write 17 Gbyte to tape at full speed?

Maybe your tapedrive is not streaming anymore, because the bypassing
of the holdingdisk?  If the datastream cannot follow the speed
of the tapedrive, the drive has to stop/backup a little/restart
and this has tremendous influence on the throughput (not to mention
the wear and tear on the drive and the cartridge!!!).

If this is indeed the case, possible solutions are:
- use a larger holdingdisk
- divide /home in smaller chunks, each fitting into the holdingdisk
  (best is fitting at least two of them: one taping and rest dumping)
  See docs/disklist in the sources for an example how to do this.
- disable software compression if cpu is the bottleneck

(amstatus in amanda 2.4.4p3 also has better indications of dumps
that bypass holdingdisk.  Another reason to upgrade.)