Amanda-Users

Re: hp ultrium 100GB lto-1 tape

2004-08-13 14:04:27
Subject: Re: hp ultrium 100GB lto-1 tape
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: Ernest Byaruhanga <ernest AT afrinic DOT org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:48:48 -0400
* Ernest Byaruhanga <ernest AT afrinic DOT org> [20040813 11:31]:

> > > i am still fuguring amanda out - where do i specify this?
> >
> > If you mean in amanda.conf then its called 'tapedev'.
> > But maybe you should go throuh the docs first and read
> > carefully. That will save you a lot of grief.
>
> thanks jf, i am actually still looking for good amanda documentation, i
> have not found anything yet. i only have git faq's and the amanda
> faq'omatic questions. do you have a website with a good documentation for
> amanda, especially some kind of newbie step-by-step howto?

Look at http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html
and also in the docs directory of the amanda source.
Apart from that, you'll have to tinker with things
and learn on how to read the debug files that amanda
will create (usually in /tmp/amanda).

> > How did you configure Amanda?
> > On which OS?
>
> i am using Redhat Enterprise Linus AS 3.0, kernel 2.4.21, and a Dell
> PowerVault 122T-LTO 8-tape autoloader.

How did you configured Amanda *exactly* ?

You have a changer so you'll be in for some fun!
I might suggest to use chg-zd-mtx as the tape-changer glue script
but that's just me. I had it to work flawlessly on RH-7.x and 8.0
using an Ecrix tape library. I also use mtx with a STK-L80 with
8 (!) LTO-1 tape drives and it works like a charm.

BTW, when you write to this list you should always specify which
version of Amanda you're using: that will help the very knowledgeable
(not me!) people on this list to know it you just hit an outstanding
bug...

hth,
jf

--
Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.