Amanda-Users

Problems dumping from Solaris

2004-08-04 16:00:22
Subject: Problems dumping from Solaris
From: jlm17 <jlm17 AT lucent DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:55:03 -0400
Hello,

I have an amanda backup server running on a Sun Ultra 2 with the Gentoo Linux OS. I initially set this up to backup two Windows PCs, and it works great.

Now I need to expand it's job and backup some Solaris boxes, particularly one that is running SunOS 5.6. I believe I have configured everything correctly. amcheck returns just fine. I have compiled a version of Amanda for Solaris and placed it in an NFS exported filesystem that the client to be backed up can see.

When I do amdump cc501 on the Ultra 2 it takes about 15 minutes and then
returns this:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  cc501      /export/h4 lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from cc501]

NOTES:
  planner: Adding new disk cc501:/export/h4.
  driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
cc501        /export/h4  0 FAILED ---------------------------------------

The log file on the server shows nothing. There is no log file on the client. I
did notice this though:

>ps -ef | grep amanda
  amanda  2702   149  0 15:02:27 ?        0:00 amandad
  amanda  2709  2702  0                   0:00 <defunct>
   jlm17  2721  1615  0 15:02:41 pts/2    0:00 grep amanda
  amanda  2710  2708  0 15:02:27 ?        0:00
/sontools/local/amanda/libexec/sendsize
  amanda  2708  2702  0 15:02:27 ?        0:00
/sontools/local/amanda/libexec/sendsize
   jlm17  2724  1615  0 15:02:42 pts/2    0:00 grep amanda

Notice that <defunct> that is started by amandad. Does anyone know what amandad starts up between the two execs of sendsize? I tried to have a some sort of script wait for amandad to start up and then truss (Solaris version of strace) its output, but it never got to the process in time and it always just returned "sleeping".

Not sure what to do to get this going since I have no output to give me an idea why it is failing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.