Amanda-Users

Re: planner problem

2004-08-04 12:25:28
Subject: Re: planner problem
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Daniel T. Gynn" <dan.gynn AT essensys DOT com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:21:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 at 12:08pm, Daniel T. Gynn wrote

> I am having problems with AMANDA doing full backups when I don't want it
> to.  I'm wondering if there is anyway to stop it.  Here is our
> situation:
>
> We have about 15 servers spread across the US.  They are connected by
> T1's.  Some of the DLE's are 20GB or more and our backup window is about
> 12 hours during the week and the whole weekend.  Assuming we get 50%
> compression, the fastest it could possibly get done is a little over 15
> hours.  So, I have a cronjob that forces full backups for Friday evening
> so they can run over the weekend.  Our dumpcycle is 21 days and
> runspercycle is 15 days.  AMANDA is good for most of the DLE's, but
> there is usually one or two through a week that will try to promote to
> full backup.  Is there anyway around this?  I have to manually kill the
> backup on the client server in the morning if this happens, or the
> backup eats up all the bandwidth and I get user complaints.  I've tried
> 'amadmin config force-no-bump', but it doesn't seem to help and actually
> seems to make it worse if possible.

>From the dumptypes section in the example amanda.conf included in the
tarball:

#   strategy    - set the dump strategy.  Valid strategies are currently:
.
.
#                 "incronly" - do only incremental dumps. This is similar
#                              to strategy 'nofull', but will increase
#                              the dump level as usual. Full dumps will
#                              only be performed when an 'amadmin force'
#                              has been issued

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering