Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck errors

2004-05-28 17:19:56
Subject: Re: amcheck errors
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:16:21 -0400
On Friday 28 May 2004 16:45, Fábio Mendonça Albuquerque Cunha wrote:
>Hello guys,
>It's my first time trying to setup amanda and I am getting this
> output when I run amcheck <myconfiguration> :
>
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /var/tmp: 194660 KB disk space available, that's plenty
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Tape DailySet101 label ok
>Server check took 4.573 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>Client check: 1 host checked in 30.079 seconds, 1 problem found

And we are back to the single, most covered in the docs, error.  We
don't mean to get short with newbies, but the use of localhost is a
no-no.  Please change your disklist entry to use the FQDN of the
machine in question.

Then, backup just a few days in the archives where I have posted the
amanda file that goes in /etc/xinetd.d, and I'll mention that it may
be you do not have the /home/(user)/.amandahosts file properly
configured.

Also, I suspect thats an rpm install, as 2.4.2p2 is getting pretty
long in the tooth now.  I'm running 2.4.5b1-20040510 snapshot here.

While it is possible to beat the rpm versions around and make them
work, generally speaking its a lot easier to build from the tarball,
it takes me about 4 minutes to build each new snapshot and install it
by use of the scripts I use here.

>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)
>
>My OS is Red Hat 8.0
>
>Some could help me ?