Amanda-Users

Re: Problem backing up just a few machines

2004-05-27 08:41:52
Subject: Re: Problem backing up just a few machines
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" <George.Henson AT DET.AMEDD.ARMY DOT MIL>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:37:53 +0200
Henson, George Mr JMLFDC wrote:

logfun02   / lev 0 FAILED [Request to logfun02 timed out.]

Then the next day I had two hosts with the same error. In trying to fix the
issue I found if I removed the curinfo directories for these two hosts, the
backups would run the next time amdump was called. It is always the same two hosts which fail like this.

After reviewing the log files, I see the client does not report it received
the sendsize service request.

Increase etimeout.  (probably)

Why does deleting the curinfo directories "correct" the problem?

In that case amanda thinks that DLE is completely new, and schedules
a level 0.  It does not bother to estimate how much data incremental
level 1 would be.
The next day(s) the planner needs estimates for the level 0, the last incremental level, and the lastincr+1. Doing 2 or 3 estimates for each
DLE on that host takes longer than only level 0...

Just speculating of course. Seeing logfiles (sendsize.XXX.debug on the client, and amdump.X on the server) and config files would help.