Amanda-Users

Problem backing up just a few machines

2004-05-27 08:26:15
Subject: Problem backing up just a few machines
From: "Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" <George.Henson AT DET.AMEDD.ARMY DOT MIL>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:22:13 -0400

Hello all,

We currently have about 10 HP-UX 11 and 11i machines in our Amanda setup.
Our server is HP-UX 11i with Amanda version 2.4.4 installed on all clients
and server.

I have two systems (HP-UX 11) that give me issue about once a week. When I
first added them to the disklist file they would backup correctly. Then
about a week later one systems backups would fail with:

logfun02   / lev 0 FAILED [Request to logfun02 timed out.]

Then the next day I had two hosts with the same error. In trying to fix the
issue I found if I removed the curinfo directories for these two hosts, the
backups would run the next time amdump was called. It is always the same two
hosts which fail like this.

After reviewing the log files, I see the client does not report it received
the sendsize service request.

Any ideas? Any way I can get more debugging information? Should my next step
be to watch the network to make sure the server is indeed seeing the request?
Why does deleting the curinfo directories "correct" the problem?

Thank you
George