Amanda-Users

Re: Tar returning 2 - amanda says dump FAILED, but log shows bytes written.

2004-05-20 09:14:46
Subject: Re: Tar returning 2 - amanda says dump FAILED, but log shows bytes written.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:12:00 -0400
> On Wednesday 19 May 2004 17:16, Joe Harpole wrote:
> >I am getting a lot of return code 2 from tar and amanda tells me the
> > dump failed.
> >
> >      /db01 lev 0 FAILED [/usr/local/bin/tar returned 2]
> >
> >Looking at the log either the file changed while being backed up or
> > was deleted after the list of files was built. The log shows the
> > typical tar messages like:
> >      gtar: Read error at byte 0, reading 512 bytes, in file
> >./app/oracle/admin/crmprod/bdump/alert_crmprod.log: No such device
> > or address
> >      gtar: ./BusinessWare/instance7/BW31/data/chanserv1_v3.dat:
> > file changed as we read it
> >
> >      | Total bytes written: 3064913920
> >
> >      ? gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

My past reading of the gnutar source indicated that exit code 2,
and the message "error exit delayed ...", are only used for ?soft?
errors, not critical ones.  Like "I couldn't do this one file
because ..." or "I'm not certain about this one because ...".
The type of errors where the backup in general is ok, but certain
individual files may not have been backed up properly.

There is a #define in config/amanda.h that you can set to "true"
and let amanda ignore these errors.  But I don't believe it is
a configure option.  You have to manually edit the file after
running configure.  At least I do :(

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)