Amanda-Users

missing tape?

2004-05-20 08:17:33
Subject: missing tape?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:13:39 -0400
Greetings all;

I have a bit of a puzzle this morning.  I reset the dumpcycle and
runspercycle for an extra day, and told it runtapes=2 for last nights
run as there is about 2.5Gb of new data from grabbing the newest
fedora core 2 iso's over the last couple of days.  The front of the
drawer said slot 3 (2 to amanda which uses base zero numbering) was
loaded, so it had one more tape to go

My amdump wrapper script does an amcheck in order to make sure the
next tape is available, and emails me if it isn't.

The next tape in the cycle is supposed to be #4, but I got this email
from amcheck this morning:

amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20040520 label DailySet1-03 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20040426 label DailySet1-05 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20040519 label DailySet1-02 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20040520 label DailySet1-03 (active tape)
ERROR: label DailySet1-04 or new tape not found in rack
       (expecting tape DailySet1-04 or a new tape)

Ohkay, not noticing that its claiming tape 3 is in 2 slots, I reloaded
the magazine and issued another call to amcheck, which of course
returns:

amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20040428 label DailySet1-07 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20040429 label DailySet1-08 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20040430 label DailySet1-09 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20040427 label DailySet1-06 (active tape)
ERROR: label DailySet1-04 or new tape not found in rack
       (expecting tape DailySet1-04 or a new tape)

Tape 4 *was* in the magazine when it was reloaded for the last
magazine load.

ow I'm going to reload the magazine with 4,5,6,7, with 4 in slot 1, 0
to amanda, and use dd to label it as 4 again to restore the missing
label, but my question is where did it go in the first place?  Is
there some gotcha in the runtapes>1 setting?

I'm puzzled.  When I reloaded the magazine so 3,4,5 & 6 were in it,
amcheck found tape 4 just fine:

amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20040520 label DailySet1-03 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20040426 label DailySet1-04 (exact label
match)

At 8 am, its way too early for it to be beer-thirty, but I feel like I
should be at least one behind :-(  I better go stick my thumb. 115,
not too sweet.

Other than the drive miss-firing when told to change tapes, I have NDI
what happened.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: