Amanda-Users

Re: location of amandahosts

2004-05-17 16:31:29
Subject: Re: location of amandahosts
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:28:04 -0400
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 16:01, Eric Siegerman wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 03:40:16PM -0400, Joe Konecny wrote:
> > First install of amanda...  Freebsd 5.2.1, Amanda 2.4.4p2.
> > I used bin and operator when compiling.
>
> I much prefer to create a new userid just for Amanda.  If it runs
> as bin, then it can write to a large part of the system (no

For compatibility with pre-compiled RPMs for Linux, I like to use amanda
UID 33 and disk GID 6 that just keeps everything consistent across all
of the platforms that I back up.  GID 6 has read but not write access to
the disk devices for "dump" style backups (xfsdump, ufsdump, dump etc.)
and no users are members of that group.

--
Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>