Amanda-Users

Re: your mail

2004-05-11 08:53:55
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:50:53 -0400
Gavin Henry wrote:

Sorry, forgot to put in a subject.

Yes, Fedora. Is there anything else like it for Linux?
I have periodically searched for ufsrestore-compatible software for Linux, but have been unable to find any yet. In my case, I wanted to be able to index dumps from a Solaris amanda client on a Linux amanda server.

A few ideas, which might be useful for the future at least: 1) switch to GNUTAR (I was using GNUTAR but had ended up switching to ufsdump due to some problems); 2) there used to be a "binary compatibility layer" that let you execute Solaris executables on Linux, but maybe that has disappeared, or at least would probably require compiling a "custom kernel"; 3) look for source code for ufsrestore, but I don't think it's Open Source; 4) Can Solaris run under VMware on x86 architecture? 5) look for Open Source libraries that can parse ufsdump format, or ufs filesystem, and write your own code.

If #2 still exists (though I don't think so) there might be a Linux distro out there tailored to exploit that capability.

--jonathan