Amanda-Users

RE: your mail

2004-05-11 07:04:20
Subject: RE: your mail
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Gavin Henry <Gavin.Henry AT invsat DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 06:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
Please put responses below quoted text -- it makes the conversation much
easier to follow.  Fixed below.

On Tue, 11 May 2004 at 11:36am, Gavin Henry wrote
> From: Joshua Baker-LePain [mailto:jlb17 AT duke DOT edu]

> > Err, by RPM I'm assuming you mean for a Linux system, and by
> > ufsrestore/ufsdump I'm assuming you mean the Solaris backup utilties,
> > which I'm pretty sure haven't been ported to Linux.  You can still search
> > through a tape by using 'dd' to read the file headers.  When you find the
> > right image, 'dd' it off the tape, send it to a Solaris box, and use
> > ufsrestore on it.
>
> Yes, Fedora. Is there anything else like it for Linux?

You could try just plain 'restore', but I highly doubt it'll be able to
read Sun's ufsdump format.  If you need cross-platform capabilities, then
use tar for your backups rather than dump.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering