Amanda-Users

Re: Full system backups on Fridays

2004-05-07 03:32:19
Subject: Re: Full system backups on Fridays
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Gavin Henry <gavin.henry AT magicfx.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:28:46 +0200

On Thu, 6 May 2004 at 10:53pm, Gavin Henry wrote

I would like to change my amanda.conf to do full backups on Fridays?
Here is my current setup:

dumpcycle 9 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 9 days    # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 12 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

If it is to make an archive backup to be stored offsite, then you better
make another configuration with "dumpcycle 0" and run that config
only on friday. Use a dumptype similar to this:

define dumptype allways-full {
         program "GNUTAR"
         index yes
         record no
         compress client fast
         dumpcycle 0
         skip-incr yes           # emphasize we only want full dumps
         strategy noinc          # also reduce time to do estimates
}

The "record no" is there to not disturb the daily config.

If it is because all the other backup schemes you know are doing this,
then wait until the others have catched up with the scheduling policy
of Amanda, and let Amanda do it her way.

What do I need to read?