Amanda-Users

Re: Troubles with Amanda on AIX 5.2L:

2004-04-30 10:43:00
Subject: Re: Troubles with Amanda on AIX 5.2L:
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:41:04 -0400
On Friday 30 April 2004 08:30, Dmitry Likhachev wrote:
>> Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> wrote:
>> What is wrong with /etc/amandates?  It should be owned by user
>> bin, and writeable by that user.  (I guess that's correct,
>> otherwise, you would have a different errormsg, I believe.)  Is
>> the content corrupt maybe? Try to start with an empty file.

Paul, my /etc/amandates is owned by amanda:disk with -rw-r--r-- perms.
Works just fine since I have a user 'amanda' who is a member of the
group 'disk'

>> Or do you have trouble with the locking-semantics on AIX?  You did
>> run a "make distclean" before you did "./configure --without-..."
>> did you?
>>
>> Tar 1.12 is old, so old, I don't remember if it can do
>> listed-incremental, which is actually better than using
>> /etc/amandates.
>>
>> The "current" and proved working version of tar is tar-1.13.25,
>> and can be downloaded from:
>>
>> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/tar/tar-1.13.25.tar.gz
>>
>> (There are known problems with 1.13.90-92, I don't know if they
>> were solved in 1.13.94 which seems to be the latest alpha version.
>>  If you're not in for experiments, stick to 1.13.25.)
>
>Hello, Paul.
>Owner of /etc/amandates is a "bin", and owner-group "bin".
>Permissions sets to 0660. File is empty.
>
>Yeap, i install tar-1.13.25,  i did "make clean" and "make
> distlclean" before start new compilation of amanda-2.4.2p2 (without
> any patches). All this I have already done before sending  my first
> message to this maillist, but anyway i recieve a same error
> message.
>
>Thanks for your advise.

I use a script to configure and make amanda, as follows:
-----------------gh.cf------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make

Remove any changer references if you don't have one, and change the
tape-server to the FQDN of your server box.  Other changes if needed
should be obvious.  I haven't touched this script in about a year,
but it gets copied into each newly unpacked and chown'd snapshots top
level dir and exec'd, which builds each new snapshot Jean-Louis puts
up as they come out.  When its done, I become root and do the make
install.  So I'm running the 2.4.5b2-200440423 version right now.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: