Amanda-Users

Re: Novell and Amanda

2004-04-29 10:27:25
Subject: Re: Novell and Amanda
From: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:24:53 +0100
On Thursday, 29.04.2004 at 15:11 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:

> >We have a Debian box which mounts our Netware server's disks as ncpfs
> >filesystems - and we add these mount points to the AMANDA disklist.
>
> This is what I had in mind. We have 6 Windows servers; AD, SQL,
> Citrix/E-mail/Exchange and 3 other windows 98 call logger machines and
> one last one for the PABX. 1 Netware 4 box. 1 AIX 4.0.
>
> I could get an old box, not sure what spec, install Fedora on it (my
> choice) and hang the HP Ultrium multitape drive off it and back them
> all up.

Basically, there should be no problem doing that.  An AMANDA server
doesn't really need to be anything special - a faster machine should
give you faster throughput to the tapes, of course, until you reach the
limit of the drives.

Also, get a LARGE holding disk - or possibly more than one.  If you are
planning to backup up to 200GB, you will benefit from having at least
that much as holding disk, ideally many times that space.  A couple of
cheap IDE disks would be best.

> The tapes are 200GB each. I could use the novelclient to log
> as admin and then mess with the AIX one too. I take it the windows
> boxes would be via their shares? How would samba be configured for
> this?

You backup via Samba yes - haven't personally had to do this ("If it's
on your Windows PC it doesn't get backed up." is my policy) so I'll let
someone else answer that.

> >If you have any more questions, knowing a bit more about what you have
> >in mind would be helpful.
>
> I am not the admin here, but he is really struggling with Back falling
> all the time.
>

> Hardware:
> HP Ultrium 1 LTO StorageWorks 1/8 autoloader with C7971A 200GB Tapes

Don't know this tape drive, but if it is supported by your chosen
operating system and by AMANDA, then that won't be a problem.

> Current Software:
> BrightStor ARCServe backup Version 9 (Build 2020)

Out of interest, why is your existing backup software insufficient for
your purposes?

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart