Amanda-Users

Performance tweaking?

2004-04-27 12:12:27
Subject: Performance tweaking?
From: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:00:43 -0400
Hi all,

What variables affect "Run time" as reported by amanda after a run
is complete?  For example, in my reports, I see the following:

  Estimate Time (hrs:min)    2:49
  Run Time (hrs:min)        10:33
  Dump Time (hrs:min)        8:38       8:38       0:00

So, it took almost 9 hours to dump to tape, but 10.5 hours of actual
run time.  Does that imply that the first 2 hours were spent getting
estimates and then spooling enough data to the holding disk before
streaming to tape began (i.e. is the 8:38 in parallel with the 10:33) ?

Currently I'm using hardware compression on an LTO2 drive. Presumably
things might be faster if I turned off hw compression and used the
clients to do compression before sending to the amanda server?

Ideas, thoughts, commends, flames :)

Thanks,
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE