Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions

2004-04-27 03:51:29
Subject: Re: newbie questions
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: mogorva <mogorva AT mailbox DOT hu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:49:12 +0100
hi

mogorva wrote:
Hi All,

I'm totally new to amanda so please excuse me for the long mail.

I have a linux box here (debian woody) with one disk and a DAT drive. There are 3 partitions on the disk (/boot, / , swap).

so far so good, but you'll need holding space in order to store the backups before they go to tape.

This PC will be a remote PC (it will be really far away from here) and I will have only ftp access.

needs amanda access via smb or amanda access via the cygwin implementation, so you'll need more than ftp..

My task is to create a method to archive the data from the disk. Fortunately (or not) the data is quite static (this means it changes very rarely) so it's not neccessary to do regular (daily or weekly) archives but it's a must to make a full archive in the nitht when some data has changed. Full archive means to save everything (all the files and directories of the application) not just the changed files.

I can handle this 'change management' (I can decide with a script if it's neccessary to make an archive or not) but I need some help to configure amanda.

amanda doesn't work like this - it's fairly static in the it does things and the planner likes to decide when to do full/incrementals.

As I told we need to archive specific directories and files so my first question is: is it possible to archive files and directories or amanda can archive only whole disks and/or partitions?

using gnutar as the 'dump' program you can do partial disks/partitions

The second question: We have tapes of 12 GB and an archive is going to be about 250-300 MB. We'd like to use a tape as long as it's possible without removing it from the drive (because it will be really far away from here). Can we 'force' amanda to use one tape until it's full?

no, one tape per backup run. There's a risk of tape corruption (eg server room fire, theft) if you leave tapes in the drive till full. Amanda forces you to change the tape every run.

I know, this won't be the best archiving system in the world, but it will do. :)

Can anyone help me to discuss the config files and write them?

Thank you,

Mogorva

You might want to have a good trawl through the docs on how amanda works..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.