Amanda-Users

Re: Advice - hardware

2004-04-27 03:47:25
Subject: Re: Advice - hardware
From: "Thomas M. Andersen" <tma AT it DOT dk>
To: "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:43:52 +0200 (CEST)
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 at 11:07am, Thomas M. Andersen wrote
>
>> I'm about to setup a Amanda-server in my network. I need to go buy some
>> hardware but i'm not quite sure what it's going to be.
>>
>> I looking at a 2U Xeon SCSI rack machine with Sony AIT-2 tapestreamer
>> and
>> 150 GB harddrive. Does it have the power/size to handle my backup?
>>
>> I have a total of 12 machines (mostly linux) with a total of about 3-400
>> GB that needs to be backed up.
>>
>> The objective is that the backup has to be done within 6 hours without
>> changing tapes more than once a day.
>
> Is that 3-400GB every night, or over a dumpcycle?  If the former, you'll
> need a faster tape drive.  Sony claims 15MB/s for AIT2, but that's
> assuming 2.6:1 compression.  So native tape speed is about 5.8MB/s, which
> gets you ~20.7GB/hr, so about 120GB in your 6 hour window.  If the latter
> and your dumpcycle is long enough (even a week would be long enough), then
> your tape drive is up to the task.
>
> As for the server itself, you're probably woefully overpowered.  I
> currently back up ~200GB/night to 2 AIT3 drives hooked to a single PIII500
> with 384MB of RAM and 2 *large* IDE disks for holding space.  Amanda needs
> very little in the way of CPU, unless your clients are slow and thus you
> want to do server side software compression.  In either case, SCSI is
> probably overkill *and* will limit how much holding space you get.
> Holding space is good.
>
> Basically, if you have any older servers lying about that you can stuff a
> large IDE drive or two in, those will work just fine as amanda servers.
> If you can buy new, a single P4 or Athlon is more than up to the task, and
> IDE drives will save you money and get you more holding space.
>
> Good luck.

Ok, thanks. I have about 300 GB of data on 12 servers that doesn't change
much. Then i have to be able to backup up to an additionally 100 GB spread
over these servers that will grow over time. I think i will go with a week
long dump cycle.

I think i will go for the following hardware then:
2U rack server (Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz)
AIT-2 Drive IDE
200 GB IDE harddrive
512 MB RAM

That would still be sufficient, right?