Amanda-Users

Re: Degraded mode with changer broken?

2004-04-13 15:17:04
Subject: Re: Degraded mode with changer broken?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:10:17 -0400
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 08:35:34PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello.

> So what am I doing wrong?  Is degraded mode in conjunction with a changer
> meant to work at all?

I don't think degraded mode has anything to do with changer.

Degraded mode is a much misused term.

No tape DOES NOT mean degraded mode.

You need the combination of no tape AND (note the important AND)
the available holding disk space is too small to accept the
level 0's the planner wants to do.  Note in this case, "available"
includes the reduction specified by the "reserve" parameter.

I regularly have lots of level 0's collect on my holding disk when
I forget to change the tape magazine to the next in order.  Only
when I forget for a very long time, and the available holding disk
drops below my reserve of 30%, does it enter degraded mode.  But
that has nothing to do with my using a changer.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)